Sunday 7 February 2010

Acrobatics

Kids Kung Fu on Saturday and T was concentrating on gymnastics/acrobatic stuff, which most of the kids really enjoy. Fun with forward and backward rolls, working up to some diving forward rolls over a stick for the better ones. But I was surprised at how few of them can do handstands against a wall or bridges ("crabs" as we would have called them). When I was eight or nine most of my playtimes at school were spent practising handstands and walk-overs. Maybe we'll work on some cartwheels next week, in preparation for one of the adult forms we do that involves cartwheeling out of a throw?
Looking for a piccie to go with this I came across this sculpture, which I rather like - it captures something of the joy of being upside down....
Apparently this is Handstanding by Martin Heron somewhere in Ipswich. I might look it up next time I'm over in Suffolk.

No comments:

Post a Comment