Tuesday 2 February 2010

Lacking the Killer Instinct

Two big classes again on Monday night, with all our newbies back for more.
Sat out the sparring because I was feeling a bit light headed (I think because I managed to miss lunch due to over-running meetings, and I don't have dinner 'til after the classes, so a bit short on calories after 2 back-to-back sessions).
Also sitting it out was one of the women who has been coming for about 6 months now and still has something of a mental block about sparring. We had quite a good discussion about why she finds it difficult. It comes down to being so imprinted with nice middle-class values that it seems awfully impolite to try to hit someone and thus it has to be done in a lighthearted manner...but if you don't take it seriously, you'll get soundly trounced by your opponent, which can be quite unpleasant. I've had to work through the same "issues" myself and I've probably still got some way to go. My problem now is finding the balance between taking it too lightly and taking it way too seriously. Still searching for that just seriously enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment