Sunday 13 June 2010

Jack Sprat

My other half is underweight. Since he started running more seriously a year or so ago he has lost quite a bit of weight. He's not the type to build up bulky muscle, since he's an ectomorph (although he does have quite a six-pack since I taught him how to do sit-ups and crunches properly) and since he now has next to no body fat he looks like he's just skin and bone. Anyway, the doctor has told him he needs to gain some weight, so he has embarked on a weightlifter / bodybuilder diet, including taking some high calorie supplements.
I've never really cared for that kind of thing, although I know a lot of fighters do use them (I believe Bruce Lee went in for the high-calorie milk shake kind of thing in his prime). For me if your kung fu technique is good enough, strength and weight aren't important - you can use your opponents momentum against them without needing to apply much effort. And most of the martial artists I'm most impressed by are pretty skinny. So I don't think I'll be trying to bulk up any time soon.
It's pretty tough watching him scarf down 5 meals a day while I'm cutting down on carbs though...

No comments:

Post a Comment