Sunday 24 January 2010

Restraint in all things

Happily T was around yesterday so I didn't have to take the kids classes myself. Even with him there both classes were pretty hyper and therefore pretty exhausting mentally.
In the second class one of the older boys came up to me and, only half jokingly, asked if he could be paired up with one of the younger and particularly annoying ones so that he could "make him stop messing around". Fearing blood and/or broken limbs I declined his kind offer and gave him a little speech about how learning patience and restraint was a key part of martial arts....definitely not the aspect that I have found easiest myself. When I first started training I was very impatient to move on and learn more and more, and felt like waiting for other people to "get it" and the whole grading structure was holding me back. Happily I seem to have moved past this now and I'm content to go over and over the stuff I already know to perfect it. But beginning teaching is showing me that there are still some patience issues I need to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment