Wednesday 20 January 2010

What's all the fuss about?

Tuesday saw me visit a gym for the first time ever. No, really - up until now I have never ventured into that particular domain of the modern day middle classes (and the odd body-building steroid junkie wearing brightly coloured weight-lifting trousers or, god forbid, revealing lycra).
On the whole I'd have to say I wasn't really over impressed with the whole experience - the treadmill running is even more tedious and repetitive than actually running somewhere outside (ditto the cycling machines) and the bizarre nordic ski thing made me feel all un-coordinated and like I was about to fall over because it made my arms move out of sync with my legs.
The weights machines are OK and I quite liked the way they can focus on particular muscle groups....but they did feel like they could easily cause damage if used with even a slightly poor technique which was a bit worrying, and I could imagine they get quite boring if used regularly.
I did like the rowing machine though, and I could imagine putting in a few miles on that especially if I had my ipod on.
All in all I couldn't imagine paying the enormous fees most gyms charge for stuff that I can do for free with a bit of space and a little imagination at home. But since the gym I used on Tuesday is for free, I might pop in now and again if I've been slacking off on the running.

No comments:

Post a Comment