Saturday 28 February 2009

Better to burn out....

Thursday Kung Fu - spent a lot of time on Siu Lim Tao as a whole class, then I taught the beginnings of the basic Bokken applications to a couple of Green sashes. Finished up with some 2-person Wing Chun work.
Then Tai Chi. I was making a really big effort to concentrate on what I was doing during the short form (I guess a Buddhist would call it "being in the moment"?) because I know I have a real tendency to drift off mentally and start thinking about other stuff - particularly going over Kung Fu stuff that I've just done. I think my Tai Chi has been suffering lately because of this. Anyway, Thursday nights studious attention to the short form seemed to pay off, it felt good and D complimented me on it later, saying I had looked particularly relaxed (which at first hearing as a bit odd, given my deep concentration, but in fact I was consciously trying to be relaxed and to sink)
After short form we did some straight sword (I think it's Li style?), wherein I reverted to type and started thinking about how the form would look if I speeded it up a bit and did it in more of a Kung Fu style. More mindfulness practice needed, obviously!
After class we went to the pub for a farewell drink for L, who is off to start a new life in Korea. I suspect I'm going to miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment