Friday 15 May 2009

What's Next?

More Bokken (Miao Dao) at Kung Fu on Thursday night, for everyone this time, not just me.
Then Chi Sao, paired up with one of the newer guys. We were actually doing it properly, trying to be " sensitive" to when the other person was about to move rather than just going through the motions. At one point T even had us trying it with our eyes closed. I think I'm starting to get a sense of what it's about.
Then from the sublime to the scary - double knives with T after the class, trying out some strike/block combinations that were, literally, making sparks fly and knocking chunks out of our knives. I think I hit T on the knuckles at one point, which must have really hurt.
Down to Tai Chi, D told us to practise something we'd learnt from Master Wu, so I had a go at Mi Chong, got to go through it lots of times (luckily I had my notes with me). The trickiest bit is still the jumping spinning crescent kick at the end.....
After the lesson D had a bit of a chat with me about where I thought I was going with my martial arts - I think basically he was asking me to become a proper instructor instead of just an assistant. I think I'm generally going in that direction, since I really enjoy the bits of teaching I do. But it seems like a big step, and I don't really have a clue how to set up a class from scratch. So think I'll just wait awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment