Friday 30 January 2009

Breaking It Down

Taught the Women's Kick Boxing tonight for the first time. Turned out to be a lot easier than I'd built it up to be, in one way at least. With L as my assistant I had more than enough stuff to go through with them to keep us all happily occupied for an hour.
What is more difficult than you might have thought is actually teaching people how to move. Cos I've been doing this a few years now, my body just does stuff like kicks and punches automatically. Not so for the beginners though. And trying to break a move down into its component parts and describe it is really difficult. Similar to teaching a novice to drive I think - when you try to analyse exactly how you pull away without dumping the clutch and stalling, it's really difficult and you end up doing it wrong yourself. So it's hard enough when you're working with one person individually, like I often do in the Kung Fu classes. But when you're standing in front of a room full of people, it needs to be a lot more verbal in addition to your demonstrations. Need to work on this, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment