Friday 20 March 2009

Mixed feelings

Someone tapped me on the shoulder whilst walking up to KF last night - it was my mate and old sparring partner N, back from Portsmouth where he's at Uni for a visit back home to see his folks! It was great to see him and catch up a bit, and got plenty of chance to pair up with him on 2 person work. We're still pretty well matched at working together, so it was a really good lesson. 
Afterwards T had to shoot off early, so N and I went through Nam Chuan. We must have been through it about 10 times - and I think it's finally stuck. Something to be learned about starting with a positive attitude there I think.
Then we went to Tai Chi - and unfortunately the lesson started badly for me because we got there a couple of minutes after the class had started the dreaded long form. In the spot I ended up in I couldn't even see anyone to copy, so all my weaknesses/difficulties with the form were quickly apparent. 
After that we went through the first bit of the 2 person sword set though, which is one of my favorites, and we tried Chen part 4 (I couldn't remember it at all, and neither could anyone else, so I ended up just stringing random Chen and mantis moves together, which was fun). So overall it was a good TC lesson too.
Talked to D for a long time at the end, covering lots of ground, from why we don't seem to get many people sticking with Tai Chi beyond the first 16 week course, to why women in particular seem to find the improvers class a little off-putting, to why I seemed to find it so hard to consistently enjoy Tai Chi at the moment. I ended up admitting that often it's a real effort of will for me to go to the class at the moment. I expected D to tell me to stick with it, hang in there, it would get easier etc, but he surprised me by saying that I should be kinder to myself, and if I didn't feel like it sometimes, I shouldn't force myself to go along every week - something along the lines of if you're banging your head against a brick wall in an effort to get through it, why not just stop for a while, look at the wall and see if there's a better way round or over it. Something to ponder on for me I think.
Anyway, no kickboxing for me tonight - other half has a gig(!) so I'm babysitting. Just as well anyway, after today's mental exertions giving my lecture, I feel pretty exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment